Hello! And thanks for taking a look here.
Things I focus on now are my podcast with Nils Paar and reading:
What I do
In essence, I love letting teams and people execute better, using modern technology.
I work as a CTO with other entrepreneurs, engineers and executives to achieve a companies' goals with high quality and minimal waste of human energy and engineering power. I believe frugality is warranted for.
Tools I think and work with are: Obsidian, Python, Golang, TypeScript, Ansible, Terraform, blockchains (particular interest in Cosmos/Avalanche/bitcoin/Ethereum). I run things using Docker, Kubernetes, Google Cloud and my note taking system. I also dabble in Flutter and Machine Learning.
My work story
I enjoy building software, ideas and companies. My programming journey started at a young age, and developed professionally from age 16 and onward. My first language was C on a noob level, inspired by my fathers' collection of programming books. I eventually came to love Python. Ever since, we've tirelessly argued about why I didn't choose Java.
In my work, I'm focused on building and understanding profoundly balanced engineering cultures, infrastructure and software. I've learned a few things about what works and what doesn't. Naturally and luckily, I still have a lot to learn.
Since I started professionally, I've worked on systems in the hospitality industry, politics, insurance, fashion, recruitment, real estate, fintech, healthcare and even esoteric advice. This has helped me form a holistic view of the modern technology scene and its capabilities.
At age 19, I started working as a contractor using Python, AngularJS and Ansible. I did this for around 2 years. At age 21, I grew a web development agency to 8 people that I ran together with Mansouraya Pieters. We used Kubernetes and Google Cloud extensively. We scaled this company down at the end of 2017, and I co-founded Blockport as a CTO.
This was by far the most experienced team I ever got lucky enough to work with. I built confidence in my hiring skills, learned a ton about blockchain, architecture, DevOps, security and engineering culture. And about funding :) The feedback I got from most teammates was that it was one of the best engineering teams they ever joined. I'm happy to say our uptime was 99,9% and our mean time to resolution (MTTR) averaged out under 2 hours. A hint of what we built is here and here.
We have been acquired by BUX in January 2020. I now function there as the Head of Technology for BUX Crypto, focusing specifically on on-chain innovation as of late. I'm exploring new ventures for the future, and out of similar interest in startups function as advisor to Bit Hotel and Flagship.
In my free time, I still like to talk and work to help other teams perform better using my interest in human flourishing and DevOps principles. It's a personal passion to integrate human fulfillment - and the resulting performance boost - into our technology sector more.
Interests and hobbies
I’m striving to become a better learner and thinker. Topics I’m currently curious about include:
- Building systems for performance (habits, reflection, meditation)
- Personal development (psychology, relationships, leadership)
- Science and innovation (augmented thinking, machine learning, neuroscience, system theory, complex adaptive systems, computer simulations, cryptography, software engineering, biology)
- Philosophy (metaphysics, phenomenology, existentialism, eastern, objectivism)
- Entrepreneurship (branding, futurism, strategy, economy, marketing, storytelling)
- Health (fasting, nutrition, calisthenics, sports, cognitive behavioural therapy)
My hobbies are reading, food (lots), calisthenics, kickboxing, 'digital nomad travel life' and wandering through the mind by meditation or deep conscious thought.
Physical and mental fitness is something I value a lot. I started kickboxing quite intensively during puberty (16) and have been doing sports all my life. Having tried karate, kickboxing, MMA and a little BJJ, I eventually transitioned into calisthenics to learn the planche (a 2 year goal, which is now more realistically 4 to 5 years with my length and weight). At this point, I'm not even close. But continue to train almost every day!
You can mostly find me trying to build things like ideas, low carb meals, my body and mind, infrastructure or software. Or just something I broke by accident ;)
Find me online:
- Walkthroughs of my second brain
- Podcast with Nils Paar: YouTube channel and Spotify
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/zowielangdon/
- Github: https://github.com/Zowie
- Blog: https://zowielangdon.nl / https://eclecticrhetoric.com
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/zowielangdon
- Media (YouTube, news etc): NRC (Dutch newspaper) on getting women into coding, Telegraaf 'Bridge to bitcoins', Blockport meetup #1 (talk), Future of Blockport (talk), Commercial on Dutch national television, Empower the digital economy (promo), Interview on Crypto Beadles, Political Persona project attracting millions of users in Australia ('What kind of Aussie are you?' with Fairfax media)